Willard

Increase sailing speed

Increasing sailing speed?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to increase sailing speed?

• PvP player - Yes
    • PvP player - No
    • PvE player - Yes
    • PvE player - No

4 hours ago, Willard said:

No, I just don't want to spend another hundreds of hours of rebuilding a base and harbor somewhere else and keep double the amount of NPCs just to have a chance to fight as I've already done that 😉 I don't care winning or losing, I care just about chances to actually fight without spending hours and hours travelling somewhere.

Actually you will realise that if you ever get in position as we are rn 😉

Btw look at poll, you still talk about me wanting to change the game. 83% of those who voted wants to increase sailing speed too 😉

Remove my vote from that.  I misunderstood the poll's intentions and want to change my vote to No. 

EDIT:  I like the large world and that some companies on the far side of the Atlas appear to be out of reach.  Its like Eve in that respect.  I enjoy the vastness and knowing that there are things going on out there we are not aware of.  We might be never aware of or hear about it hours, days, weeks, months later. 

I think the problem Willard talks about stems from the populations we see now.  If we had 4x the pop, heck even 2x there would be a lot more companies vying for land locally in his area and the seas would have more ships.  There would be more action.  Last 2 nights we have engaged in fleet battles including 20+ ships and 60+ people.  We meet halfway, talk some shit and have fun.  At the end everyone says gg and goes home.  Its been really exciting.  We make the content.  We have that control. 

Edited by DocHolliday

45 minutes ago, Willard said:

Thank you for telling me what I want man, I really appreciate it. I´ve written like 5 times what bothers me and why is such a long sailing bad for PvP. If you don´t get it by now I won´t bother to explain it to you again, you simply have PvE mind and no PvP experience so you don´t know what I am talking about 😉 

"If you didn't care about winning or losing.. why are you demanding more speed, why does it matter if you get there faster to lose? Your argument makes no sense"

This is the most brutal example of PvE mind which isn´t able to comprehend someone likes fighting no matter if he loses his ship or sink other ships. Problem is for this player if he has to sail for hours TO GET TO FIGHT first and then hours back to base. 

Its so funny when PvE player starts talking about PvP 🙂 

Gosh, this is such a waste of time. Poll is pretty selfexplanatory. 

Of course I have no experience of pvp.. I've only be playing pvp games for longer than you've been alive.

I know exactly what you want, you just won't admit to it.

• Haha 1

My recommended sailing changes.

Repurpose weight sails, they are now called Base Sails. They no longer give a weight bonus.  These sails have a 270 degree range of motion to aline with wind. give you 100% speed.

Handling sails.  these sails have 360 degree range of motion so you can align with the wind when moving in any direction.  They only provide 80% of of your max speed.

Speed sails. They only have 180 degree range of motion for aligning with the wind, but they give 120% speed.

You now have a rock/paper/scissor for PvP.  Also the PvE groups can either move fast with the wind with speed sails, or move at a steady pace with handling sails no matter wind direction,  or use a good all around with base sails.  Or whatever combination someone wants to run.  these percentages could be changed for closer balance.

I also think some tweaks to the speed reduction due to weight would be nice. 

Edited by TyGeR_STD

28 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Of course I have no experience of pvp.. I've only be playing pvp games for longer than you've been alive.

I know exactly what you want, you just won't admit to it.

Man, Im a 35 years old gamer, don´t tell me what I want 🙂 I accept your opinion, you don´t want to increase sail speed. Accept mine and don´t force me your thoughts about WHY i want that 😉 

Just now, DocHolliday said:

How about both of you agree to disagree and shut the hell up.  😉 

Im trying man but he is a bit aggressive 🙂 

Sheesh. If they can now justify a submarine, why not add ship turbines then?

Edited by vaylain

Haha yeah I get where the both of you are coming from. 

In all honesty I think increasing speeds for the sake of making PvP less difficult to get to at distance would be a bit of a short sighted mistake.  If you are using current game politics, geography, and server populations to form this opinion it is in direct contrast to what the devs envision this game to be when it officially launches.  They see a world with many more people in it.  Conflict will be readily available in your neck of the woods. 

People complain enough about offline raiding.  Megas.  PvP mechanics in an open world.  The complaints that would arise from people being able to sail much further in the same amount of time would only increase.  Griefers Atlas wide would rejoice in being able to reach new victims. 

Edited by DocHolliday
  • Like 1

To add in abilities to avoid being overtaken by a pursuing ship, they should add depth charges and oil slicks that we can ignite...

Edited by vaylain

4 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

Haha yeah I get where the both of you are coming from. 

In all honesty I think increasing speeds for the sake of making PvP less difficult to get to at distance would be a bit of a short sighted mistake.  If you are using current game politics, geography, and server populations to form this opinion it is in direct contrast to what the devs envision this game to be when it officially launches.  They see a world with many more people in it.  Conflict will be readily available in your neck of the woods. 

People complain enough about offline raiding.  Megas.  PvP mechanics in an open world.  The complaints that would arise from people being able to sail much further in the same amount of time would only increase.  Griefers Atlas wide would rejoice in being able to reach new victims. 

As I wrote previously in this topic, we were fighting together with 3 another companies (all in top 10) between each other. We stopped because it was too time consuming to reach each other (and its only 4-5 grids). Then we started to fight smaller tribes around us which we didn´t even want in the first place. We just wanted to do some PvP. Just because it was way less time consuming to get there and we could spent time in ship fights / raiding instead of sailing. All I know is we would like to fight another big tribes but with this distance its pretty much impossible (people are bored of sailing 2 hours there, fight for an hour and sail 2 hours back). This is why I would like devs to increase it. We all got our reasons. 

Not being in range to be sailed to and raided within 3 or 4 hours of certain companies - is the last defense the most of us have left. The moment this last advantage falls - there will only be the megas left.

Don't think increasing sail speed really matters now anyway, with storms killing me 3-4 times per storm and doing 50% damage to my planks.. won't be long before anyone with less than a jm gally can even go out in the water.. top that off with 12-15 sotd fleets.  Often spawning all around you.. Every region it's dodge, dodge, anchor up, repair, dodge.. etc  That's after I've used 500 bullets.. And your reward.. the same bps you got every other time. + 2-3 cballs.  The worst of it is.. 99% of the bps are now worthless.

Wind speed is the least of our problems atm.

Edited by Martyn

Planning, planning, planning. There is nothing wrong with the winds speed at this time. Would like some variation in the winds. You just need to plan your trip and wait for the wind. 

• Like 1

nothing wrong with current sailing speeds, what they do need to fix is speed sails actually giving speed sail bonus.

if the default is made faster the game will be broken very fast.

reminds me of ark where a few guys would show up run turbo speed across the island, spam C4s then disappear so fast that you couldn't find them much less catch up to them while mounted.

cept here it would just be done with ships. And if you make ships faster, SODs would have to become faster too, not to mention whales.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SomeOtherIdiot said:

Planning, planning, planning. There is nothing wrong with the winds speed at this time. Would like some variation in the winds. You just need to plan your trip and wait for the wind. 

You need to play more than just 3-4 hours a day to plan trips and wait for the wind 😉 everyone knows what you mean but not a lot of people can afford it. 

For these casual people its not like "oh there is a bad wind, I'll wait for an hour or hour and half and then go", it's more like "hmm, maybe tomorrow if the wind will be better". 

Edited by Willard

17 minutes ago, Willard said:

You need to play more than just 3-4 hours a day to plan trips and wait for the wind 😉 everyone knows what you mean but not a lot of people can afford it. 

For these casual people its not like "oh there is a bad wind, I'll wait for an hour or hour and half and then go", it's more like "hmm, maybe tomorrow if the wind will be better". 

Agreeing with Willard again. 😡

god guys, what are you doing? Why not have sailing be faster?

i can’t believe I am going to say the word “simulator” because I hate that word since it is wayyyyy overly used, but, this isn’t a damn sailing simulator. You lost the right right to ask for realism once the kraken and all this other stuff was added. 

No more realism. This real world sailing need is stupid. Oh but I want it to be real. If you want it o he real then go sail.

this is a game and it is very fake. Please come to that realization. Very fake. As in very fake. It isn’t the legendary creatures or the building or anything else. It’s a game. Deal with it.

i still can’t wait to tame 500 creatures. That is my main mission. You know why? Because I will never do that in real life.

Maybe they could introduce some kind of torrents which would lead all across the map (multiple torrents from left to right, bottom to top etc.) and either give ships a significant speed bonus or have its own speed (like 15 knots) which you could use in case of a bad wind. 

If you would like to travel somewhere far you would find a proper torrent and sail into it. Maybe it would solve no wind/long distances travel problems.

The idea of fast TRAVEL is a legit one. Note that this does not mean faster NORMAL sailing speed per se, only fast travel from 1 location to another, using autopilot.

It should be performed from Atlas map the moment a captain sits on the steering wheel.

It should be possible when a ship exits immediate island area, and only to the islands already discovered by that person or a tribe of that person.

The fast travel itself should look like autopilot with ship x3 the normal speed, with modifiers concerning current wind and weight (as if the travel is normal, only x3 speed and autopilot).

The autopilot on x3 should stop if a non allied object comes into its range and be disabled until enough distance is made or object destroyed, and should stop on bad weather (fogs, tornadoes), until ships exits the affected area or the effect passes.

It should be cancelable by user, but with cooldown added case of that, to prevent pvp exploits.

To prevent possible exploit in pvp scenarios , maybe a warning to destination island on pvp servers should be issued that “xy is on its way to your island” message.

edit: and absolutely no torrents, currents or any patticular place where you need to sail to to activate it, since in pvp it would be griefed and camped to oblivion.

Edited by gnihar

Relax guys,

they are removing speed bonus from crafted sails, to get rid of the disparity of ship speeds. as haveing the big guy's always being able to catch the little guy's is some thing they don't want.

But what they will do is increase speeds a little to offset not being able to do so by crafting.

(Not 100% on this but seems about right from whats happening and whats been said.)

At least in PVP, but probably in PVE too, the problem with fast travel, increased speed and those kind of things is that it increases power projection. As annoying as long trips are, I'd be careful with that because the cure could be worse than the disease. 

I don't know if it would be possible but id love if they add a system to calculate the best route for trips forecasting wind and weather, maybe combining it with  the sextant compass, and giving you an aproximate arrival time. 

• Like 2

If anything they'll just nerf everything to the point where noone is playing, then they'll blame new releases etc for their own failure to see what everyone else see's as obvious.

But that doesn't mean sailing speed needs to be increased.  19 knots is plenty for me.

What I want is an auto pilot.. that reads a plotted course between map markers.  Then I can sit and use my fishing net.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Martyn said:

If anything they'll just nerf everything to the point where noone is playing, then they'll blame new releases etc for their own failure to see what everyone else see's as obvious.

But that doesn't mean sailing speed needs to be increased.  19 knots is plenty for me.

What I want is an auto pilot.. that reads a plotted course between map markers.  Then I can sit and use my fishing net.

You can't have a pvp ship with 19 knots buddy

19 knots is speed while going in direction of FULL strenght wind with unloaded ship. Don't use max speed with unlpaded ship under circumstances which are here like 1/10 of a time as a reference. 

Use average wind speed with average  loaded ship as reference.

Edited by Willard