Willard

Increase sailing speed

Increasing sailing speed?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to increase sailing speed?

• PvP player - Yes
    • PvP player - No
    • PvE player - Yes
    • PvE player - No

1 hour ago, Willard said:

Zero wind or you go against the wind = you go 10 knots. 

Just make 10 knots a minimum speed of the ship. 

I like the idea of having a higher base minimum speed.  I think SoD speed would need to be adjusted as well to let them still pose a threat.

Anytime I log on and see low wind it currently is a guarantee that I wont sail.  Like previously said, who wants to spend 1 hour sailing one grid.  If you only have a few hours to play you cant accomplish anything.  Each grid in my opinion should take a max of 10 minutes at lowest wind speed to sail across,  higher wind cuts it down to 5. 

That is still  almost 2 hours to circle the map but it also means just over 1 hour to get to any square depending on direction at slowest speeds.  H7/H8 to H1 or H15 is roughly 70 minutes at slowest, if all wind was max 35.

Edit: also some mechanic to encourage hit and run harassment.  Not just a full on 9 hour brawl and wipe.  Something I can do quickly. Sail over, steal something that gives our group a buff, kill an NPC pirate admiral wantering their docks, etc.  If full wipe is what you guys want then up gathering so recovery is faster.

Edited by Remcott

6 hours ago, Remcott said:

companies that have been playing longer will outmatch potential new players and smaller companies

Always gonna be that way, its not a match based game.

4 hours ago, Willard said:

Zero wind or you go against the wind = you go 10 knots

Just no.

3 hours ago, gnihar said:

I have laid out a concrete proposal of fast travel mechanic earlier

Maybe there are times I would like to get somewhere fast, that would totally ruin the mechanics of the game. No skill involved there, and no need for trading either.

5 minutes ago, Nutcutt3r said:

Always gonna be that way, its not a match based game.

Just no.

Maybe there are times I would like to get somewhere fast, that would totally ruin the mechanics of the game. No skill involved there, and no need for trading either.

You really see skill in sailing? 

3 minutes ago, Willard said:

You really see skill in sailing? 

I know you get to pick where you need to go, and then take the wind into account as well. Not to mention what you are carrying, how you built and stocked your boat. There is timing as well, along with what you may encounter along the way. Having someone else along to trade off that knows how to sail as well because yes it takes skill, and you dont want a noob sinking your boat.

13 minutes ago, Nutcutt3r said:

I know you get to pick where you need to go, and then take the wind into account as well. Not to mention what you are carrying, how you built and stocked your boat. There is timing as well, along with what you may encounter along the way. Having someone else along to trade off that knows how to sail as well because yes it takes skill, and you dont want a noob sinking your boat.

there is zero skill involved when sailing in this game , drop sails ,turn sails for best wind and go ,turn to avoid sotd if u meet any on your journey , thats the extent of sailing in this game ,  

8 hours ago, lordkhan4444 said:

I heard they putting in a airship maybe that will fix some of the travel issues?

PvP players need to travel with their war ships, I doubt airship will be able to carry these😉

9 hours ago, Goombay said:

HAVE SPEED SAILS BEEN FIXED?

Nope.

16 hours ago, UDO said:

there is zero skill involved when sailing in this game , drop sails ,turn sails for best wind and go ,turn to avoid sotd if u meet any on your journey , thats the extent of sailing in this game ,  

More like level a boat to 300%+ resistance put an NPC on the wheel tell it go this way. AFK and watch anime, read forums, blame things on Jat.

~Lotus

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, UDO said:

Maybe not skill, but a good dose of common sense.

If the wind is light and blowing in the wrong direction, don't sail. spend some time doing other stuff, looking for tames, gathering some light (Fibre) resources.

sail when you have fair winds, not crap.

13 minutes ago, Lotus said:

More like level a boat to 300%+ resistance put an NPC on the wheel tell it go this way. AFK and watch anime, read forums, blame things on Jat.

~Lotus

There is more truth in this statement than I wish there was.

I will put out there that combat sailing requires some skill.  However when I go through 3 zones in a row where wind is at the lowest it can be I fail to see what skill is needed there.  Light ship and low weight still is slow.  I don't see any reason a single grid should ever take over 45 minutes top sail across unless your ship is 75% plus weight.   I cant out skill a bad mechanic unless I was cheating.  

I think increasing the sail speed should be one of the stats for ships!  Make it a small percent of course and a maximum value with a skill at the bottom of the skill tree that adds speed as well!

4 hours ago, Jack Shandy said:

Maybe not skill, but a good dose of common sense.

If the wind is light and blowing in the wrong direction, don't sail. spend some time doing other stuff, looking for tames, gathering some light (Fibre) resources.

sail when you have fair winds, not crap.

sounds exactly what i do when low winds , plan trip if inds low go do somthing else ,

16 minutes ago, UDO said:

sounds exactly what i do when low winds , plan trip if inds low go do somthing else ,

Ye but if you have limited amount of time in game and playing PvP, u know. You can´t plan when to play exactly right? That leads you log in after work, wind is bad, you log off because you can´t do PvP 🙂 I understand this is much bigger problem for PvP players than PvE players. 

Edited by Willard

On 6/16/2019 at 2:36 PM, Willard said:

Zero wind or you go against the wind = you go 10 knots. 

Just make 10 knots a minimum speed of the ship. 

10 knots? Are you actually serious?

3-4knots maybe.. but 10? Just ask for an "i win now" button why don't you.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Martyn said:

10 knots? Are you actually serious?

3-4knots maybe.. but 10? Just ask for an "i win now" button why don't you.

Who wins if the base speed is the same for everyone? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Willard said:

Good question actually.   Because in a sailing game wind is used as advantage/disadvantage.

5 minutes ago, Willard said:

this ...

23 minutes ago, Captain Stabbin said:

Good question actually.   Because in a sailing game wind is used as advantage/disadvantage.

Ye and where is that advantage/disadvantage for anyone if there is base speed which is the same for everyone? Who get an advantage? Everyone has the same conditions ...

Edited by Willard

43 minutes ago, Willard said:

Ye and where is that advantage/disadvantage for anyone if there is base speed which is the same for everyone? Who get an advantage? Everyone has the same conditions ...

You missed the point completely mate!  

Some sails perform better than others do I really have to break this down for you?

Edited by Captain Stabbin

56 minutes ago, Captain Stabbin said:

You missed the point completely mate!  

Some sails perform better than others do I really have to break this down for you?

And they will keep performing better with 10 knots base sail speed 😉 Faster sails will still be faster. So yes, explain to me how this would break current state of sails. 

Instead of increasing the speed, can we have more control for like backing up and turning while the sails are up??? The other day I got stuck between land and a dock and had to destroy the ship to not leave it there unlike 50% of all the abandoned ships on the map.

3 hours ago, Willard said:

You win, everyone who wants a rng wind looses.  Thought the answer to this question was obvious.

Just because you "want this for everyone" doesn't mean, you don't "want this for you".

Instead of a generic default, the game needs complexity and challenge.   And beside.. 10 knots.. 6 knots.. near rocks in a storm.  You've just killed all of our ships..

So thanks for that!

And yes, I could shorten sails.. in fact in the above example, I would have to anyway, but such a high default speed would create many more problems than the 1 it would fix.  Your inability to occupy your time and thus get "bored".

Edited by Martyn

1 hour ago, RipPaw said:

Instead of increasing the speed, can we have more control for like backing up and turning while the sails are up??? The other day I got stuck between land and a dock and had to destroy the ship to not leave it there unlike 50% of all the abandoned ships on the map.

I'd like to see a mounted harpoon like machine where you can harpoon your own ships and then pull them stern first into docks etc.. all the current system really does is pull 2 ships closer together.  What happens to a ship being pulled towards land.. would be nice if it could turn although, no reason for someone not to be steering the ship, whilst you reel it in.

The docking speed is, an issue for sure, but if it was any faster, it could also be a very serious issue.

Edited by Martyn

5 minutes ago, Martyn said:

You win, everyone who wants a rng wind looses.  Thought the answer to this question was obvious.

Just because you "want this for everyone" doesn't mean, you don't "want this for you".

Instead of a generic default, the game needs complexity and challenge.   And beside.. 10 knots.. 6 knots.. near rocks in a storm.  You've just killed all of our ships..

So thanks for that!

And yes, I could shorten sails.. in fact in the above example, I would have to anyway, but such a high default speed would create many more problems than the 1 it would fix.  Your inability to occupy your time and thus get "bored".

Rng wind is now like 4 knots - 20 knots speedwise. What is the problem if it will be 10 - 20? It still will be rng, just generally faster 🙂 

But I understand your opinion. Its the reason for this topic, I just wanna know people´s opinions. 

Edited by Willard