Sign in to follow this  
Martyn

Taming elephant.. bugs and weirdness.

So started taming a 17.. but a tiger came along and killed it.

Then started taming a 19, but ants kept spawning and scorpions etc and they ruined the proficiency or basically got in my way.

So I made a pen, but the 22 I was trying to tame just kept repeatedly hitting the walls and thrashing around, resetting itself back to 0%..

Using Wheat, all profs, except whale, music.

Doesn't seem to be any way of taming them except maybe to build a stone trap about 12x12x4 with medium gates and hoping the thing will drop so it isn't half way through a wall.

Remember when taming used to be fun and well.. abit easier.. this new taming method.. frankly, it's boring.  A thrashing around elephant, does not equal more challenge or more fun.  All other methods require people to be depended on, which isn't exactly reliable.

Edited by Martyn

No pen is best and actually quite easy if you can swing it.  Large billboards are not just for writing text on :classic_wink:

Learn the whistles.  You can use your bear to attack pests for you, while you feed the elephant.  Look at the approaching pest, and hit the comma key.  The bear will run to the pest, and attack it.  Take more than one bear, for insurance.  Note, however, that if the elephant hits you, the bears will attack it, so you will want to be quick on the passive whistle.  Hit it as soon as you get hit.  Actually, I think you can have the bears on passive, and they will still respond to an order to attack, which is the comma key.

Well all i can see is some folks obviously haven't tamed anything for awhile.

1/ If you don't use a trap.. you spend all day chasing after the animal you're trying to tame because all it does on bola escape is run and evade. 

Yes you can use billboards etc but that's still a trap and the ele still thrashes around.

2/ Learn the whistles.. well i could use those, but I shouldn't need to, instead of them copy pasteing the ark controls across they should be improving on them, the entire stupid wheel system is rubbish always has been, it's a console idiosy that has no place in a pc game. It takes too long to hold a key down, look around the wheel, select option, select next option.

And half the keys you could combine the whistles to are in use by other partsof the game, which cannot be edited, like alliance chat, local chat, map pins and so forth.  Then there's setting animals to ignore commands, telling them to heed commands and so on, it all takes time, which you don't have when taming.  The whistle system is so frustrating to use, it's worthless.

I use 2 whistles.  All Stop and All Passive.  And that's it.

It used to be, that you'd knock the ele down, move away a few meters and the ele would calm down allowing you to feed it.

Now it just thrashes around.  There is NO sweet spot anymore.  You have to either jump in/out to spam it with food or sit an inch outside of it's attack range, wait for it to breathe in and feed it, thus missing half the time needed.

It's like someone sat down and purposefully made taming the ele as frustrating as possible.  In the progress of completely removing all the fun and pleasure of playing the game.

Balancing a game is not ruining the gameplay.  The gameplay should make sense.  Not be full of stupid loop the loops and ingenious wild goose chases. That isn't a challenge.. it's just another form of grinding.  Of a time sink. The most basic way to frustrate your playerbase.  And there's more than enough in the game to do that already, without adding even more.

Like the perpetual hole in the front of a galleon.. Still not fixed.. Bases falling apart.. still not fixed.. stuff attacking through walls. still not fixed.

A million simple exploits and dreadful game design in the building system, still not fixed.  Instead it's important to make elephants even harder to tame.  Yeh that's worth the effort.

I tamed a lv 30 yesterday, it killed me about 15 times.  That isn't a fun or entertaining or funny or challenging way to play a game.

It's almost childish game design.  I'm beginning to wonder if the devs are developers or actually just griefers..

And I'm sorry if this sounds harsh I'm not trying to blame you by quoting you etc.  It's just that this method of balancing games really pisses me off.

Edited by Martyn

Martyn maybe you should just hit me up and join us- its definitely not as frustrating as you make it sound. We all do our own thing and just get together for fun events, and will give you a hand if you need it.

And we have elephants!

I opened tamed an elephant just this weekend and although you can do it without a bear I highly recommend using one. Even if the elephant tries to run away the bear is faster, so use it to chew down the elephant's health and bola from the back of it, dismount and feed, rinse and repeat. I used the same method to tame my giraffe which was still a bit of a pain in the ass. 

Like others have mentioned, keep the bear on passive, and if something tries to interfere hop back on the bear, kill it, and go back to taming. Or use your bow, I do that because sometimes its faster. All that said, yeah sometimes sh** happens, a lion comes flying in out of nowhere and kills the tame you're working on in 2 hits.

It's still easier than when I first started playing pre-wipe, with the exception of being able to actually use pins for taming elephants and feeding from any angle. 

On 6/17/2019 at 8:44 PM, Martyn said:

2/ Learn the whistles.. well i could use those, but I shouldn't need to, instead of them copy pasteing the ark controls across they should be improving on them, the entire stupid wheel system is rubbish always has been, it's a console idiosy that has no place in a pc game. It takes too long to hold a key down, look around the wheel, select option, select next option.

And half the keys you could combine the whistles to are in use by other partsof the game, which cannot be edited, like alliance chat, local chat, map pins and so forth.  Then there's setting animals to ignore commands, telling them to heed commands and so on, it all takes time, which you don't have when taming.  The whistle system is so frustrating to use, it's worthless.

I use 2 whistles.  All Stop and All Passive.  And that's it.

Not sure why you are having issues.  These are default PC whistle hotkeys.

Attack this target...period [ . ]

All Passive...semicolon [ ; ]

All Neutral...dash [ - ]

All move to this location...comma [ , ]

You follow...[ T ]

You stay...[ Y ]

All follow...[ J ]

All Stay...[ U ]

Not sure what others there are, that you might feel that you need, but you do not need to use any dropdowns, or anything like that.  Just check the key binder to see what  key is for which whistle.

• Like 1

Those I use from time to time.  The main problem atm is Attack my Target which doesn't work at all. 

But the real issue is tames have aoe attacks.  Not singular attacks, so using whistles near tames is a bad idea anyway.

And I think nuts you're downplaying how bad it is, I've watched dozens of people fail at taming, within a few attempts.  Most just kill and quit. I don't quit, but I do feel the need sometimes to pass on my feedback on a given issue.  There's people in my company who just flat out refuse to even try it again, because of their own experiences.

So trying to make out that taming is "easy" because you've managed it on a few occasions does not mean all tames are easy.

There are tips and tricks, but they won't help with every tame.  Overall, taming is extremely frustrating often to the point of tedious.

I find it quite insulting that most people will disregard difficulties, because they are afraid of telling the truth and will try to make out about how easy something is or fun it was, to make them look more important and amazing etc.. well there are equally those of us, who even tho they will not accept failure as an option, will also admit that sometimes it hurts and it makes us angry.  And we're not afraid of telling the truth.

For example.. trying to tame a Giant Tortuga, in the water, with a bear.. that's alot of running around, chasing and "Too much health to bola" msgs.

We tamed two of them in one day.  It could be made easier.. less frustrating. All I'm saying.

In Ark for example, when you tame something, aggressive dinos do not spawn near you.  Only passive dinos.

In atlas, it almost seems as tho only aggressive animals spawn near you.. it's almost as though atlas is designed to frustrate you.

Edited by Martyn

Using the period key works, but you have to point right at what you want to attack.  So let's say you see a Cobra heading toward you...you point at it, and hit the period key...and keep doing so until you see a red arrow flash above the cobra.  The bears will react instantly.

I will agree that this is easier done with at least two people, so one can tame, while one stands guard.