Sign in to follow this  
FatalCrazy

Too bad, boats disappearing from players who did not stop playing.

I play more than 15hrs a day, today I lost my second boat that disappeared.  Claiming things from other players that stopped playing is not wrong, but I'm playing a lot of absurd hours a day and having your things in decay timer, this is very wrong.

If I forget to walk with some boat on a different island he will disappear, this is very wrong, I am not an absent player or who has given up the game.

I can not do several boats on my base, this system punishes even players who go online for many hours. This is wrong, we should take boats from those who stopped playing, but the boat if we do not take it to navigate sometime it disappears. This is very bad, don't it makes me want to create more different boats.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ivah BlackWater said:

How hard it is to visit all your boats every couple days, raise and lower the anchor? It couldn't take more than 5 minutes at most.

Well, I lost ships without knowing I now needed to walk on or raise and lower the anchor on a time table now.

Edited by Buck Rider

4 hours ago, Ivah BlackWater said:

How hard it is to visit all your boats every couple days, raise and lower the anchor? It couldn't take more than 5 minutes at most.

It's the fact that it was not (from what I can tell) public knowledge that you had to physically step on a ship to reset timers. Unless I missed somewhere that clearly states that, then it was assumed that render was the reset of timers just like building structures.

Did you know that your tames claim timer expires even if you are online standing next to it if you haven't interacted with it for 2 weeks? They aren't based on render either, but that is not stated anywhere.

So it's not about whether it is hard to do or not, it is about GS making these mechanics clear from the start.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

It's the fact that it was not (from what I can tell) public knowledge that you had to physically step on a ship to reset timers. Unless I missed somewhere that clearly states that, then it was assumed that render was the reset of timers just like building structures.

Did you know that your tames claim timer expires even if you are online standing next to it if you haven't interacted with it for 2 weeks? They aren't based on render either, but that is not stated anywhere.

So it's not about whether it is hard to do or not, it is about GS making these mechanics clear from the start.

Did they confirm you have to interact with it?

~Lotus

41 minutes ago, Lotus said:

~Lotus

They haven't confirmed anything yet, but they are aware of the questions raised regarding it. Hopefully they'll take a look at it and determine whether it is working as intended or if it is a bug, then clarify how it works. But for now there's no confirmation.

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

~Lotus

I'm 92.7% sure you have to interact with them. This information was passed around in our company and we have an "insider" that would have corrected us if it wasn't the case. But there is a chance it may not. 

I assume that you are aware that with every boat you build, the server performance becomes worse and worse for everyone else, right?

So you cannot and should not reward people building ships like crazy.

In fact, there needs to be a strong incentive for players NOT to build more ships than absolutely necessary.

People also shouldn't be rewarded just for playing twice as much per day as everyone else.

There should be a strong mechanism of diminishing returns there, too, if you want to keep player numbers healthy.

Most people simply can't afford to play 15hrs per day, and if a game allows for some welfare king to run loops around the average player because he can spend much more time in the game, you are likely going to lose that part of the community: The vast majority.

Why should i even bother playing if there is no possibility of keeping up with the no-lifers who play 24/7?

I don't need this game more than the game needs me.

But most importantly: If you can't manage to visit a ship before it despawns, you almost certainly didn't really need the ship at all in the first place.

6 minutes ago, user1 said:

I assume that you are aware that with every boat you build, the server performance becomes worse and worse for everyone else, right?

In fact, there needs to be a strong incentive for players NOT to build more ships than absolutely necessary.

People also shouldn't be rewarded just for playing twice as much per day as everyone else.

There should be a strong mechanism of diminishing returns there, too, if you want to keep player numbers healthy.

Most people simply can't afford to play 15hrs per day, and if a game allows for some welfare king to run loops around the average player because he can spend much more time in the game, you are likely going to lose that part of the community: The vast majority.

Why should i even bother playing if there is no possibility of keeping up with the no-lifers who play 24/7?

But most importantly: If you can't manage to visit a ship before it despawns, you almost certainly didn't really need the ship at all in the first place.

Ship point system incoming. Like island points but for boats and NPC's. Each player is worth 10 points. Raft =1, Sloop = 2, Schooner = 4, Brig = 8, Galley = 15. Each NPC crew is 1 point.. Small tames are also 1 point, medium tames 2 points, large tames 5 points.

Lets also add a cannon and storage point system aswell. Each person is allowed to store 100 things so you can have 100 stacks of 1 thing of 1, or 1 stack of 100 things. Each artillery is 5 points.

Building point system! Every person is allowed to have 1 floor, 4 walls, 1 door, 1 ceiling. A roof is worth 2 walls.

Bed point system! You are allowed to use .5 beds a day. They will accrue so you can use a bed once every other day.

Armor point system, you are allowed to wear 2 pieces of armor at any time. It will still count against your storage though.

Alright enough sarcasm or is it? 😄

In all fairness we are limited to 300 boats and a render of 15,000ish tiles in render distance. 1,600 tames per grid. It is limited by grapeshot already 😄

There's no reward for building a crapload of ships.

As for the vast majority... where do you get your statistics from? I would like to check your sources against mine 😄

~Lotus

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, user1 said:

My friend, this game is an MMO "Massive Multiplayer Online" the servers have to adapt to more capacity  having players and support their tools how the boats is main tools to players.

I understand that improving the experience for players is importante, create mechanics that limit activities that are the main activities of the game, this is not something good to accept. 

Developers need to improve the performance  the engine graphics and make it work for it to occur in the best way to support many players in server. If  continue this way people will continue to give up the game, because it is a very good game, but it can not support large scale players per server.

Edited by FatalCrazy

10 minutes ago, user1 said:

https://www.earnest.com/blog/the-demographics-of-video-gaming/

check on that, kid.

dont miss school tomorrow, though.

So your source is just a broad article on statistics about gaming? Nothing specific to Atlas yet you speak like you are talking on behalf of a large playerbase within the Atlas community. You realize demographics are attracted to different genre's right?

Do you have a relevant source of information? I am always looking for new lines of information to add to my list.

~Lotus

44 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Bed point system! You are allowed to use .5 beds a day. They will accrue so you can use a bed once every other day.

This isnt a bad idea. 

Just now, Chucksteak said:

This isnt a bad idea. 

I actually want them to make it so if you die you can't gain exp for 5 minutes or if you use a bed. This will make it so people are less likely to just die to reset vitals. It's a survival game and has turned into oh my vitamin X is low time to go drown myself or punch an elephant in the face to get it back. The bed thing makes it so you don't just port to a food room 😛.

~Lotus

2 hours ago, user1 said:

I'm only responding to your last point because you failed to understand the issue here.

For example you go on about having an incentive for players to not build more ships than necessary, now I had 2 ships, yes just 2. I had a sloop, and a schooner. I stopped using the sloop when I built the schooner. I left the sloop outside my base as a back-up in case I ever lost my schooner at sea.

I had no reason to step foot on my sloop.

I had no indication that ships required boarding to refresh timers.

I lost my back-up sloop.

The issue here is not the need to step foot on ships before they despawn, the issue here is the lack of knowledge provided from the devs as to the mechanic for ships despawning.

2 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

I'm only responding to your last point because you failed to understand the issue here.

For example you go on about having an incentive for players to not build more ships than necessary, now I had 2 ships, yes just 2. I had a sloop, and a schooner. I stopped using the sloop when I built the schooner. I left the sloop outside my base as a back-up in case I ever lost my schooner at sea.

I had no reason to step foot on my sloop.

I had no indication that ships required boarding to refresh timers.

I lost my back-up sloop.

The issue here is not the need to step foot on ships before they despawn, the issue here is the lack of knowledge provided from the devs as to the mechanic for ships despawning.

I understand your issue. There is no instruction guide anywhere. There is no way to know how to do so many things in this game. The only consolation I can offer you is that this is the way with everything in the game, and not isolated to your exact experience.

This is interesting to read.  We have an abandoned boat in our harbor.  It was built the first week servers went live after the wipe.  It was left in our harbor and the player has not logged in since.  At one point it sat in the same spot for almost 2 months without anyone touching it.  This is a allies boats.

Two nights ago I joined their company to join in on some map xp and when I came back I moved the boat out of the way.  Since that companies leadership said they do not want it I decided to turn it into a tourist attraction.  Going to build a pier all the way around it and put signs and billboards up explaining its mysterious history in our harbor. 

• Haha 1

Just confirmed that animals on ships left for awhile have different claim timers!  Not sure what is going on there but I have started mounting and unmounting my animals as well as ships everyday!  Sort of annoying!

Edited by Captain Stabbin

On 6/13/2019 at 2:58 PM, user1 said:

This also goes for multiple bases, large useless empty bases, multiple shipyards, multiple tames, farms, markets etc.. and of course foundation and piller spam.

Hell.. if people removed their traps after use.. that alone would reduce overall server lag by a big amount.

As for op complaint, if I understand it right, that he is losing ships because he never visited them for 10 days.. well that's his fault and everyone else shouldn't need to suffer for it.  If however, he is loosing ships that are less than 10 days absent, then that's a bug and should be submitted as one.

Edited by Martyn

16 minutes ago, Captain Stabbin said:

Just confirmed that animals on ships left for awhile have different claim timers!  Not sure what is going on there but I have started mounting and unmounting my animals as well as ships everyday!  Sort of annoying!

It's not just ships, it's all animals whether on ships or in your base.

• Thanks 1

Is this post a complaint about boats that don't get used in about 10 days disappearing??

I wish this would happen in our harbor...

You must have not visited that island for 10 days or something.

If that's so, then you don't need it. Deal with the game mechanics to make the game playable. It's not a reality simulator. The game has limitations.

2 hours ago, Pallist said:

Is this post a complaint about boats that don't get used in about 10 days disappearing??

I wish this would happen in our harbor...

You must have not visited that island for 10 days or something.

If that's so, then you don't need it. Deal with the game mechanics to make the game playable. It's not a reality simulator. The game has limitations.

Maybe you should pay attention to the topic. It's nothing to do with visiting islands as it is nothing to do with rendering in ships.

We don't step on all our boats for weeks. They're still there... 

OP clearly stated the boat was on another island.

Either way, sounds like excessive boats