Sign in to follow this  
Ivadovich

SotD but real pirate ships

Replace those (let's be honnest) ugly fantasy ships with real pirate ships. Just some ships pre disigned by your artist modellors. Look at the pre disigned structures and stuff. They are al so stunningly beatifull, I bet they could create some unimagible nice ships. You could use historicly known pirates, ships and flags.
Just imagine comming across the Queen Anne's Revenge + acurate flag. Same thing for those famous chinese ships and their pirates.

• Like 2

++1   Not sure what the game is now.... Slowly turning into another arcade joke of game with all the mechanics.   They missed a huge opportunity to do some thing special.

To add to this...…  NPC pirate islands.   Prebuilt, lootable if you kill the commander, and then they reset after a certain amount of time.  The AI is beyond rudimentary now....and almost a joke for it's purpose.   It's 2019.....we had better AI in the 90's doing more things for the player instead of this stuff we see in Ark/Atlas/ or CE......it's a joke by comparison. 

9 hours ago, Ivadovich said:

Replace those (let's be honnest) ugly fantasy ships with real pirate ships. Just some ships pre disigned by your artist modellors. Look at the pre disigned structures and stuff. They are al so stunningly beatifull, I bet they could create some unimagible nice ships. You could use historicly known pirates, ships and flags.
Just imagine comming across the Queen Anne's Revenge + acurate flag. Same thing for those famous chinese ships and their pirates.

I'd be happy with just normal NPC ships. I have a guess as to why they went with the floaty fog monster ships, that being because they don't have a dedicated AI programmer, so they needed an NPC ship that didn't have to obey things like wind direction or physics to make it easier on them, and just drop it under the banner "Because Magic!" 

So I have a feeling we won't see normal NPC ship enemies in the near future, because they're too short staffed to make them anything but either janky and unrealistic or realistic-adjacent but not very challenging.

All that being said, I think it would be worth the effort for them to do NPC sailing ships, especially for PVE servers. I'd love to see it and I think it could add a lot to the game. Fighting the SoD is OK, but it isn't as satisfying as exchanging proper broadsides with another ship that you could board and blunder and scuttle or take for your own. I mean, if you're going to say you're a pirate game that's kind of a reasonable expectation right? 

I still find it weird that the defining thing a pirate does, loot merchant shipping, one cannot do in Atlas because there is no merchant shipping. You can fight other players and then loot their ships, but there should be some pve mechanism to interact with the AI in this fashion. Why put pve sotd into the game but no merchant shipping?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

I still find it weird that the defining thing a pirate does, loot merchant shipping, one cannot do in Atlas because there is no merchant shipping. You can fight other players and then loot their ships, but there should be some pve mechanism to interact with the AI in this fashion. Why put pve sotd into the game but no merchant shipping?

Exactly, that was their main target, historically speaking. Like I said, I get why they initially did the SoD, just to have something out there, but they should be placeholders. It was disappointing to me when they actually started making even more types of SoD. Was any player actually asking for more types of SoD? 

Ah well, maybe someday, if this game doesn't completely tank. 

I still think they can and they should. I mean the game has such potential and it still is in early development. I just hope it doesn't die before some of those major changes. Most of the poeple complain a lot about the game not beeing worked on and stupid decisions. I agree that it hasn't been flawless, but look how many hours are sunken in Atlas and Ark by a whole lot of players. So my guess is saying what I think would be a good decision, and hoping it get's picked up by you guys and the developers. And I think this one is the biggest one.

Edited by Ivadovich