Mijorious

Over 30 hours invested, no dedicated server. Help!

As the title says, over 30 hours of frustrating, hair pulling, and screaming, and cannot get this server to work.  The only thing I haven't done is throw my monitor through the window.  OK, enough of the rant and on to the serious stuff:

I have setup and ran an ARK server as well as setup and ran an Outlaws server with NO issues getting it going. But this Atlas server is killing me! I've searched the net and read probably dozens of articles in forums but none of the articles seem to work, and many of the issues people are having do not match mine.  So here goes . . . .

Oh, and I have more than triple checked my .batch files, firewall settings on my physical server, port forwarding on my router, all the settings in the servergrideditor, among MANY other areas. I've also changed the IP in ALL areas to both internal and external and tested each one. No matter what I do, nothing works. Oh, and I don't really need public access because I only need to run the server on my LAN.  There are 5 of us in the house that want to play but the other 4 won't buy the game until I get this to run locally. So did I waste my $30.00?  Here's what's happening:

The server starts flawlessly! I've even matched the windows to other posted screen pics from people that have it running.  Pretty much exactly the same except the name and IP. Now, I get on steam and view the server list. I add my external IP and port: "Not responding". I add my internal IP and port: My server shows up BUT it's not in the LAN window, where it say there are no servers on my local network. Huh? I'm looking right at it! lol. I had no issues here with my ARK and Outlaws servers.

No matter what I do "anywhere", my server never shows up in the unofficial server list within the game. And yes, my router supports NAT loopback. I'm sure I missed explaining something, but please believe me, I have tried it all I think.  Oh, and btw, I've done networking for over 35 years so I know how to get around these things. hehe.

Anyone have any more ideas? I've wasted my money if I can't get the server to run. and nobody else here will buy the game.

Nobody has ANY ideas?

Ok, well, lesson learned and money wasted.  Guess I'll let everyone know not to buy it since it doesn't work for us.

I really wanted to play this!

Which map are you trying to run? 1x1, 2x2, etc!? How did you set your Json file? Port forward? Bit more info and maybe can help you.

6 hours ago, Barba said:

Which map are you trying to run? 1x1, 2x2, etc!? How did you set your Json file? Port forward? Bit more info and maybe can help you.

Thanks for trying to help me. I'm at wits end.

Anyway,  I'm trying a 1x1 map and started from scratch. There is a post which gave me step by step on how to create a brand new .json files. I've created my .json file with server grid editor, saved it, exported the files, then copied them into my AtlasSrv -> shootergame folder.  In my .json file I've used my external IP, my internal IP, and even tried the IP of my router.Nothing works.  

Here a kicker, in the Steam server list my external IP does not show up. It says "not responding". BUT, if I add a server with my "internal" IP of the server, it shows up immediately. BUT, again, it does not show in the server list in the game and doesn't show on the LAN tab.

I've went over MANY things manually and started the server with the 00.bat file after starting the redis-server and everything looks completely normal. I've re-installed from scratch 4 times now and installed and used both Atlas Server Control by Sparcmx and Atlas Server Update Utility by Phoenix125.  The server seems to start fine but never shows in the list.

One more thing to note. My server is Windows 2008 server ( I know it's old ) but stripped completely of all roles and I have successfully ran both an ARK server and recently an Outlaws server without issues on it.  Now after attempting to run an Atlas server without success, my other servers will not run.  Let me clarify, ALL the servers seem to run fine individually, they just don't show up on the list.

I think I stated this before somewhere, there are 5 of us that want to play on a LAN. I bought the game first to get the server running so we can play. Without the LAN server, the other 4 won't buy the game. I just need to get this thing to run locally.

Oh, and yes, all the ports have been forwarded in my router. I used a scope for the ports as indicated in all the instructions I have read. Thinking abut it, I haven't tried creating a port forward for each port individually in case the router has an issue with it. I'll try that also in a few. Also, I have dropped all the firewalls on the server and opened all the necessary ports also just in case. I've even tried enabling DMZ on my router for the server so EVERYTHING gets in just to try it. Still no show in the list or steam.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance!

I personally had issues with steam server list not really working for me, so i don't rely on it at all. Either server not found, invalid server or whatever other error it can give but it works great trough within game server list.

I'll assume you have correct 1x1 map with correct settings (Atlas ID, Friendly Name, IP set up on Cluster itself, Port on cluster, Game Port on cluster, SeamlessDataPort on cluster, and, exported (ServerGrid.json, ServerGrid.ServerOnly.json and ServerGrid folder with map images generated) and final correctly set up bat file to run it all.

After running redis server (with is database for characters and works for connecting clusters) you start server with bat, same like ark and it should be shown inside game on list.

I usually search "unofficial, password protected and its first on list usually).

Dont think that Windows have anything to do with it but most probably ports (from my own experience).

I'll give you ports you need and maybe check them first before messing with other things in case server starts correct without any errors.

So for Redis you want to open port 6379 (default port), than next ports are just examples and set them based on what you set them up in GridEditor, QueryPort: 57555, GamePort: 5755, SeamlessPort: 27000 and final RconPort 28000 which is defined in bat file you use to start server.

After you sort your ports check ingame for server on list, should be usually on top of list.

In case you gona run multiple clusters just use ports with increment of 5 for each cluster. Example Cluster 1 QueryPort: 57555, cluster 2: 57560, etc.

7 hours ago, Barba said:

I personally had issues with steam server list not really working for me, so i don't rely on it at all. Either server not found, invalid server or whatever other error it can give but it works great trough within game server list.

I'll assume you have correct 1x1 map with correct settings (Atlas ID, Friendly Name, IP set up on Cluster itself, Port on cluster, Game Port on cluster, SeamlessDataPort on cluster, and, exported (ServerGrid.json, ServerGrid.ServerOnly.json and ServerGrid folder with map images generated) and final correctly set up bat file to run it all.

After running redis server (with is database for characters and works for connecting clusters) you start server with bat, same like ark and it should be shown inside game on list.

I usually search "unofficial, password protected and its first on list usually).

Dont think that Windows have anything to do with it but most probably ports (from my own experience).

I'll give you ports you need and maybe check them first before messing with other things in case server starts correct without any errors.

So for Redis you want to open port 6379 (default port), than next ports are just examples and set them based on what you set them up in GridEditor, QueryPort: 57555, GamePort: 5755, SeamlessPort: 27000 and final RconPort 28000 which is defined in bat file you use to start server.

After you sort your ports check ingame for server on list, should be usually on top of list.

In case you gona run multiple clusters just use ports with increment of 5 for each cluster. Example Cluster 1 QueryPort: 57555, cluster 2: 57560, etc.

I use steam sometimes because it's quicker than loading the game and it was accurate for ARK and Outlaws. It even showed that I was running Outlaws on my LAN. However, using it or not, my server never shows up in my game server list.

Yes, I'm 99% sure I have all the correct settings because I have done them all many times over and have constantly checked them.

Question:  In Outlaws for sure and I think ARK, there is an area where I had to put in my steam ID to show I own the game. In Outlaws it was in the adminlist.txt.  Do I have to validate my copy of Atlas to run the server?

Yea, my server in Outlaws and ARK was at the top of the list. But now, they don't show up either. So, I'm thinking it's at MY end but I have not changed anything on the physical server. This all happened when I changed my ISP and modem. However, I have went all through the modem settings and there is nothing unusual. I've disabled the wireless and network ports in the modem so all the port forwarding is done in MY router. My gridEditor ports are fine, except I'm confused with this line: "and final RconPort 28000 which is defined in bat file you use to start server.". I don't have the RCon port in my startup .bat file. Is it necessary?

I have no plans to run multiple clusters right now. At least until I get just one grid up and running properly.

I wish there was some sort of diagnostic I could run to troubleshoot this. lol. Everything seems to run fine but I just cannot get the server to show up on my in-game server list. I just want to get this running on my LAN. It doesn't need to be publicly accessible. And everyone on my LAN can access the physical server via our network so there isn't a problem with the LAN. I just don't get it. It's frustrating because there is no reason for it not to show up in the list.

RconPort is also defined in GameUserSetting.ini IIRC. Down is example of bat file im using. You also need that port opened.

start ShooterGameServer.exe Ocean?ServerX=0?ServerY=0?AltSaveDirectoryName=A1?ServerAdminPassword=password?MaxPlayers=30?ReservedPlayerSlots=5?QueryPort=57555?Port=5755?RCONEnabled=true?RCONPort=28000?SeamlessIP=YourPublicIP -server -ForceRespawnDinos -log -NoNattleEye

Another thing that cross my mind is to make sure you have checked Home Server checkbox in GridEditor. I noticed in my testings that if cluster without home server checked started first will not show up on list at all. Possible also is Atlas ID not set correctly can cause server to not show up.

I havent done any steam id checks to any of my servers to run them so far.

Best for ports it to write down all ports you have setup in your server config and forward them to your server in your router.

Sadly i only host server on public not on LAN so i cant help much on how to set it up to work on LAN only.

11 hours ago, Barba said:

RconPort is also defined in GameUserSetting.ini IIRC. Down is example of bat file im using. You also need that port opened.

start ShooterGameServer.exe Ocean?ServerX=0?ServerY=0?AltSaveDirectoryName=A1?ServerAdminPassword=password?MaxPlayers=30?ReservedPlayerSlots=5?QueryPort=57555?Port=5755?RCONEnabled=true?RCONPort=28000?SeamlessIP=YourPublicIP -server -ForceRespawnDinos -log -NoNattleEye

Another thing that cross my mind is to make sure you have checked Home Server checkbox in GridEditor. I noticed in my testings that if cluster without home server checked started first will not show up on list at all. Possible also is Atlas ID not set correctly can cause server to not show up.

I havent done any steam id checks to any of my servers to run them so far.

Best for ports it to write down all ports you have setup in your server config and forward them to your server in your router.

Sadly i only host server on public not on LAN so i cant help much on how to set it up to work on LAN only.

Ok, I'm going to sound like a complete dummy here, but, first, I thought that the Atlas ID is a random number unique to each server? What I did was first generated a "new" project in Grideditor, copied the Atlas ID, then opened "my" project and pasted the Atlas ID into the field. Was I wrong? 

Also, there a server config file that holds all the port info?  If there is, I haven't found it. The only places I know of are the Grideditor and the 00.bat file.  Is there another place I can check to verify that I have all the ports correct?  

Don't trouble yourself about the LAN setup. If I can get "anything" working, I'll be happy. And again, I really appreciate your effort in helping me.  ARK and Outlaws NEVER gave me THIS much trouble. lol.

11 minutes ago, Mijorious said:

Ok, I'm going to sound like a complete dummy here, but, first, I thought that the Atlas ID is a random number unique to each server? What I did was first generated a "new" project in Grideditor, copied the Atlas ID, then opened "my" project and pasted the Atlas ID into the field. Was I wrong? 

Also, there a server config file that holds all the port info?  If there is, I haven't found it. The only places I know of are the Grideditor and the 00.bat file. 

Correct for Atlas ID but be sure whenever you make new one, or even when i edit old one i take new id exactly how you described.

When i said server config i meant server.json have all ports in it (ones you set up when you ctrl + left click on cluster in grideditor), just easier to read it from json instead to reopen editor just to find ports which you have setup.

Checking Home server also enables spawn points on cluster, without that im not sure would server show up on list.

Other than that only thing crossing my mind is Ports. If all 5 ports are correctly opened it should work fine.

You can also try download some 1x1 maps done by others to test out.

Yeah server is quite more complicated than ark or most others i used by now and really poorly documented. Im still struggling to get some stuff working and there is no info anywhere....

I'll take all your suggestions and double check all my configs and ports again. For the life of me I cannot figure out why this won't work.

But anyway, thanks again for all your efforts and time. I'll make one more attempt and probably move on. 

Take care.