Last week was quite a ride and we would like to thank you all for continuing to sail along with us! It has been about 6 months now since we have renewed the ATLAS journey, and now the last scheduled patch of the year is upon us!
We have made several fixes to the Ramming Galley, Armored Docks, and more. This includes a fix for Explosive Barrels so they no longer deal damage in Freeports and removing some bad maps from Treasure Map spawning. Christmas Trees and Ship level caps have also been fixed. We have also included a few changes, like the much requested increase in reverse sailing speed, which has now been increased by 200%. The Glider Suit may now only be activated under 100m height as well. As a little bonus, Bears can also now wear hats! For the full list of bug fixes and changes, please see the changelog.
Most importantly, we have also made some server reliability improvements that should also help to reduce incidents of losses. To fully address the issue will be a long-term process, as it is a multifaceted issue and touches many aspects of the code. We are touching on different symptoms of it throughout development as we continue to make our investigations and improve the code. Please continue to report these issues to us as they greatly aid in our efforts to optimize and improve the ATLAS experience. Thanks for your patience, understanding, and support!
Tonight’s patch has quite a few new things in store! First up - we have the Lumberyard, a farmhouse variation that gathers only thatch and wood. All of the systems we have been implementing will continue to see development and improvements as we refine them based on feedback and observation. This is the first step towards the next iteration of the farmhouse system as we introduce specialized variants. Regular farmhouses will still continue to collect Wood and Thatch for now. However, Lumberyards will gather them at a much faster rate.
Aye, and were ye looking for a way to store all yer drinks for the holidays? The new Keg is the perfect way to store and transport your alcohol. Afterall, drinks taste best directly from a Keg, don’t they? The Keg can be crafted at the Smithy after learning the Secrets of Cooking skill in the Cooking & Farming tree. For only 30 fiber, 5 metal, 50 thatch, and 60 wood - you can build a Keg and be able to store any alcohol items in stacks of 50. Drinks for everyone!
Having trouble taming some creatures? Might we recommend the new Tranq Arrow? The Tranq Arrow is a new ammo type for the Bow that deals high amounts of Torpor and little physical damage. It can be used to put creatures to sleep, allowing pirates to more easily contain them for taming. Tranq Arrows can be crafted in the Mortar and Pestle after learning the Taming Tier 2 skill in the Beastmastery Tree.
Last week the first of the new ships that can be bought for gold, the Ramming Galley, hit the shores of Atlas. We were excited to see our baby in action and have made a number of changes to help it create more of a splash. We increased its base speed by 40% and have also increased its turn speed while sails are closed. As a ship meant to directly attack and charge into others, it needed more oomph so we increased the damage of all cannons on the Ramming Galley from 100% to 125%. Ramming Galleys will also now deal damage to NPC ships.
To compensate its strength a bit, the Ramming Galley now costs an additional 75 Rhino Horns, a new resource type obtained from defeating Rhinos, to purchase.
In addition to these changes, we also made a number of bug fixes to the Ramming Galley, which can be viewed in the full Changelog that follows.
As with all the features and mechanics we have so far introduced, we will continue to balance and refine the Ramming Galley.
Previously we discussed a rework on the Claim System. Originally, we intended to introduce this by the end of this year. As things move in development and new challenges present themselves, timelines and ideas can often change. We are still working on the new Claim System’s implementation and testing it. It will likely not be introduced until early next year. Many were concerned that a rework of the Claim System would bring about a wipe. Although wipes are inevitable in EA, we also do our best to wipe only when it is absolutely necessary. At this time there is no estimated or set date for a wipe and we will keep the community updated if that changes.
As the last patch of the year, the ATLAS team will be setting sail for a small holiday break. The next scheduled patch will be the week of January 11. However, we will continue to perform daily server restarts and we will have our spyglass handy to watch out for any urgent issues that may require our attention. Otherwise, pass us your Kegs and some glasses please! Happy Holidays!
Released Patch Notes
New Structure: Lumberyard
The Lumberyard is a farm that only gathers thatch and wood. It can be crafted at the Smithy after learning the Advanced Automation skill in the Construction & Mercantilism Tree.
- Shares placement restrictions with other Farmhouses
- Gathers about 1/3 more wood and thatch than a regular Farmhouse
- Crafting Resources: 800 Wood, 600 Thatch, 320 Fiber, 280 Metal, 100 Hide
New Structure: Keg
The Keg is a new storage container used to store alcohol. It can be crafted at the Smithy after learning the Secrets of Cooking skill in the Cooking & Farming Tree.
- All alcohol items can be stored in stacks of 50
- Crafting Resources: 30 Fiber, 5 Metal, 50 Thatch, 60 Wood
New Bow Ammo Type: Tranq Arrow
- Tranq Arrows are significantly more effective against tameable creatures
- Players and NPCs are immune to Tranq Arrows
- Crafting Resources: 1 Stone Arrow, 20 Berries
New Keratinoid Resource: Rhino Horn
- Rhino Horns can now be obtained by defeating Rhinos
- Updated UI text on Armored Docks to clarify that only 1 Gold is consumed when the timer expires
- Bug Fix: Armored Docks no longer stop working for a period of time after server restarts
- Bug Fix: Armored Docks no longer consume all Gold in their inventory after server restarts
- Added 75 Rhino Horns to cost
- Base speed increased by 40%
- Increased turn speed while sails are closed
- Increased damage of all cannons on ship from 100% to 125%
- Ramming NPC ships with the Ramming Galley now deals damage
- Players can now swim through some large holes in the Ramming Galley after it sinks
- Bug Fix: Health is no longer displayed for undamageable parts of the ship including weapons
- Bug Fix: Demolish option no longer appears for components that have already been demolished after the ship sinks
- Bug Fix: Ramming Galley can no longer be crafted in the Large Shipyard
- Bug Fix: Forward-facing Large Cannons are now correctly assigned to the Front Station Group
- Bug Fix: Oars will now always automatically retract after idling for 10 seconds
- Bug Fix: Sail rigging now previews correctly when placing new sails
- Max reverse speed for all ships increased by 200%
Bug Fix: Level cap for max quality ships restored to 60
- NOTE: The max level of ships built during the previous patch won't change
- Christmas Trees now produce gifts every 12 hours
- Bug Fix: Santa Hat skin will no longer disappear from player inventory
- Bug Fix: Santa Hat is now properly positioned on Monkeys, Parrots, and Penguins
- Bug Fix: Resolved issue where Stockings and Christmas Trees would stop producing coal/gifts after server restarts
- Fixed some cases where Markets would break
- Limited the number of Trade Offers Markets can have to 20.
- Made some server reliability improvements
- Bears can now equip hats
- Glider Suit may now only be activated under 110 meters height (about the height of the lighthouse)
- Reduced Grill's damage resistance
- Sea Fort walls now swap to a damaged mesh when destroyed rather than disappearing
- Bug Fix: Explosive Barrels can no longer deal damage in Freeports
- Bug Fix: Removed some bad maps from Treasure Map spawning
Again, we would like to emphasize that ATLAS is still in Early Access, meaning many things can and will likely continue to drastically change - even in the middle of development. Anything discussed is only up to date as of the moment it is posted. Features and changes that ultimately make it to the next patch, as well as timing, may be different from what was previously discussed.
As always, we appreciate the suggestions and feedback from the community. Please keep them coming! Thank you for all of your support!
- ATLAS Crew
For the latest dispatch on #playATLAS keep yer one good eye trained on this here information
Natter n' chatter on Discord: https://discord.gg/playatlas
Hear ye, hear ye on Twitter: https://twitter.com/sailtheatlas
Watch us scallywags on Twitch: http://twitch.tv/sailtheatlas
Plus ye can band with us Pirates on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/playatlasgame